I think I have said this on the blog before but just in case you didn't know, I had no one to share my love of makeup with before I started writing the blog since I have 3 brothers and my mom isn't too into cosmetics. I feel like I managed to connect with so many people through writing on the blog and I am so happy that you guys found me!! I hope I will be able to post better content for you guys in the future, be it makeup, skincare, fashion, food, my cute pets or just a little bit of randomness ^-^
Ramblings aside, this review is going to be on the Bellini Lip & Eye Palette from the Bobbi Brown 2012 Holiday Gift Giving Collection.
This collection contains:
- Tube Tine Trio (Grape Glitter Lip Gloss, Pink Mist Shimmer Lip Gloss and Pink Violet Lip Gloss)
- 24 Karat Shimmer Brick
- Powder Pearl Eye Trio
- Rich Caviar Eye Palette
- Black Pearl Eye Palette
- Bellini Lip & Eye Palette
- Atomin Pink Lip & Eye Palette
- Uber Nude Lip & Eye Palette
- Caviar & Oyster Mini Brush Set
- Caviar & Oyster Collection Travel Brush Set
- Caviar & Oyster Collection Deluxe Travel Kit
The Bellini Lip & Eye Palette was the only item that I purchased from this collection. The box is extremely gorgeous in my opinion because I love pearls!
Official description: Our toast-of-the-town collection features an array of colors for lips and eyes - all in a mirrored compact. Ten eye shadows in mix-and-match textures create shimmering, light-catching looks. A quartet of lip gloss colors completes the bubbly mood by adding glittery depth and high shine to lips. Includes miniLip Brush and Eye Shadow Brush. source
Ingredients list on the back of the box, plus an ugly price sticker.
The packaging is very simple and sleek, just plain black with the Bobbi Brown Crest. This palette is also very compact, especially when it contains 10 eyeshadows and 4 lip glosses.
I particularly like the hinge on this compact. I think it gives it a very retro feel.
This is what you will see when you open up the palette. The top portion had a lid and the bottom portion has the lip glosses and a compartment for brushes.
The eyeshadows are covered by the lid, which is good because it separates the powder from the glosses. The mirror is also of a good size so it will be convenient if you take this palette on the go.
This set comes with a mini eyeshadow brush and a mini lip brush.
I have another mini eyeshadow brush and the quality is similar to the one included in this palette. The bottom brush is a travel size eyeshadow brush for size comparison.
The bristles on the minis (left and middle) are still soft but not very dense at all. I haven't used the brush and the bristles already splayed a little though.
This brush is decent and I think it will be ok for touch ups on the go since it fits into the palette. It will also be nice for those who don't necessarily want to invest in getting other brushes. It is very small and the handle is very thin so I find it to be very uncomfortable to hold. I don't think I will end up using this much since the quality is nothing too impressive.
Here's a closer look at the mini lip brush. I don't own any other lip brushes from Bobbi Brown so I can't compare it.
This brush is really tiny and the shape of the brush is very narrow and slightly tapered. With that, I think this brush will be really hard to use unless you have very thin/ tiny lips.
Let's take a closer look at the colours.
Top row: Navajo (Eyeshadow), Candlelight Gold (Metallic eyeshadow), Petal (Shimmer wash eyeshadow), Cement (eyeshadow) & Prosecco (Metallic eyeshadow).
Bottom row: Truffle (Eyeshadow), Bellini (Shimmer wash eyeshadow), Bronze Stone (Shimmer wash eyeshadow), Brown Sugar (Metallic eyeshadow) & Caviar (eyeshadow).
From left: Navajo (Eyeshadow), Candlelight Gold (Metallic eyeshadow), Petal (Shimmer wash eyeshadow), Cement (eyeshadow) & Prosecco (Metallic eyeshadow).
- Navajo is a matte ivory beige. This colour is not too pigmented and it disappears on my skin, so it might be a nice one for me to sweep over my lids as a base color. I think it can appear chalky on those with darker skin tones.
- Candlelight Gold is a shimmery gold. The payoff of this colour is sheer if you apply a single layer but you can build it up (as seen in the swatch). I did see quite a bit of glitter fall out when I swatched this shadow so it is advisable to tap off the excess well and use a patting motion when using this shadow.
- Petal is a baby pink with a subtle sheen. The colour is also on the sheer side and you will get a very light (almost white) colour if you use a sheer layer. The look is still very soft even if you apply several layers but the pink will show through more.
- Cement is a matte medium taupe. This shadow has so so pigmentation but the colour is buildable.
- Prosecco is a shimmery peachy champagne. This color has nice pigmentation, especially when other shades in this palette are on the sheer side.
From left: Truffle (Eyeshadow), Bellini (Shimmer wash eyeshadow), Bronze Stone (Shimmer wash eyeshadow), Brown Sugar (Metallic eyeshadow) & Caviar (eyeshadow).
- Truffle is matte medium tan with a pinkish hue. This shadow is one of the more pigmented shades in this palette.
- Bellini is pale champagne beige color. The shade has quite poor colour payoff and it looks like a wash of shimmer even if you apply a few layers. The texture for this shadow is also a little dry.
- Bronze Stone is medium brown with a golden sheen. This colour has decent colour payoff but the texture of this is also a tiny bit dry.
- Brown Sugar is a peachy bronze with a golden sheen. This shadow is also one of the more pigmented ones in this palette.
- Caviar is matte black. In the pan, it looks like there are tiny shimmer particles but it appears to be a straight matte colour on the lids. The texture feels a little dry and stiff. It looks slightly patchy in the swatch but it applies much more smoothly on the lids, though the colour payoff is not exactly a solid deep black.
Consistent with the Bobbi Brown brand, most colours in this palette are on the soft and natural side. Whether or not you will like this palette will depends on your makeup preference (I am sure some people will love the colours and the softer look of the shadows in this palette).
The quality of the shadows in this palette are not equal but for the most part, most of the shadows are on the sheer side. That being said, most shades can be applied over several layers to build up the colour intensity. The textures are quite decent overall, though some shades are smoother while some are on the slightly dry side. The shadows all apply relatively well onto the lids with little fall out (you do have to tap off the excess of course).
These shadows did not last too long on my lids (I haven't tested out all the shades but I have worn the majority of them). Without a primer, I detect fading after about 3 hours of wear. Even with a primer, the colour would have faded considerably at the five hour mark.
From left: Bubble Bath (Lip Gloss)- sheer medium pink, Chrome Pink (Shimmer Lip Gloss)- sheer shimmery peachy brown nude, Bellini (Glitter Lip Gloss)- sheer mauve pink with pink & gold shimmers & Bare (Glitter Lip Gloss)- sheer pale peach with subtle gold shimmers.
These lip glosses are really subpar in my opinion. The colours are all so sheer that all the shades look clear when worn on the lips. I wore each colour on one quarter of my lips to test out the pigmentation and you won't even be able to tell that I have different glosses on. Though it gives a nice high shine glossy look, the texture is so heavy, sticky and extremely uncomfortable to wear. Worse still, the stickiness remains even after the glossiness fades, which is typically over 2 hours for me. These glosses also have a very artificial/ old fashioned scent to it that I find very nauseating.
This is not a palette that I will recommend, unless you are a big fan of softer looks and/or you prefer shadows that have a less intense pigmentation. I think that not many will be a fan of the glosses in this palette, so you might want to consider if you like the shadows enough to warrant the RM280 price tag (or $75 in the States).
Since I was going to be out all day on my birthday, I used this palette to create a soft and natural hazy (not quite smokey yet) makeup with this palette.
I used Prosecco all over my lids as a colour wash and Bronze Stone in my upper outer corners in a v shape. I then used a mixture of Candlelight Gold and Bellini in the inner half of my upper lids. After that, I used a black gel liner pencil to line my eyes and proceeded with using Caviar to smudge out the line. Lastly, I patted Candlelight Gold onto my inner lower lash line as a highlight.
Please visit and "like" the facebook page for "Every Little Thing" a.k.a. Chewylove Blog on facebook. CLICK LIKE HERE
Follow me on Twitter: CLICK
Follow me on Instagram: (username) lizchewy
Until next time xoxo